Non domicile tax advice

Get help managing your taxes if you’re moving to the UK using non-dom status

Looking to move to the UK from abroad? Our services are designed to optimise your tax affairs in the UK using your non dom status. Our expert team will help guide you through the process and significantly reduce the amount of tax you have to pay.


Non-UK domiciled individuals (non-doms) can benefit from special rules in the UK, which mean they’re only taxed on money earned in the country. Your domicile status (the country you consider your permanent home) will determine your liability for various UK taxes, including income tax, capital gains tax (CGT), and inheritance tax (IHT). 

How much UK sourced income do you receive annually?
How much foreign sourced income do you receive annually?


Careful pre-arrival planning to establish your expected domicile and residence status can significantly reduce the amount of UK tax you pay. Our experts can assist you with this complex area of tax. 

SRT resident assessment

GTC can advise on how to achieve a resident status upon arrival, rather than at the beginning of the tax year, to mitigate unexpected tax charges.

Non dom tax planning

GTC can advise on the strategies available to non dom taxpayers such as the use of the remittance basis to exempt foreign income from UK tax.

Non dom tax return

GTC can submit your annual UK tax fillings taking into account all reliefs available to non-doms to ensure that your affairs are up to date with HMRC.

In recent years, the government has tightened non-dom rules to ensure fair tax contributions, making this area of tax increasingly complex.

That’s where GTC comes in; to avoid unnecessary tax costs, it’s crucial to understand your domicile status and local tax rules.

We can establish tax-efficient structures that allow you to retain more of your international earnings.

Complete our quotation form to see how we can help you. 


Do I need to pay tax on foreign income?

If you are resident, as a starting point, you will be liable to UK taxation on worldwide incomes and gains and if you are non-resident, you will be liable to UK taxation on UK sources of income and UK property gains only.

If you are a non-domiciled resident, you will have access to a special tax regime which gives you the option to exempt foreign incomes and gains from UK taxation.

It is essential that advice is sort regarding the structure of your wealth and bank accounts, ideally prior to relocating to the UK, in order to maximise the advantages afforded under the special tax regime.

Am I non-domiciled?

Broadly, you will be considered non-domiciled if you were born outside of the UK to non domiciled parents and you do not consider the UK to be your long term home.

Therefore, it is possible for a foreign national to live/work in the UK for a period oftime and continue to retain a non domicile status, providing that an argument canbe sustained that their long term home is outside the UK.

Will I be subject to dual taxation?

The UK has over 120 double taxation agreements which provide rules to mitigate double taxation when two tax authorities seek to tax the same income or gain.

Broadly, the double taxation agreement will give the sole taxing rights to one tax authority or will require one tax authority to give a credit for tax suffered in the other tax authority.

What is the tax return filing deadline?

The UK tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April.

The tax return filing deadline is 31 October following the end of the tax year if you are filing paper or 31 January following the end of the tax year if you are filing electronically.

The payment deadline is 31 January following the end of the tax year.

Do I need to complete a tax return if I live in the UK?

As a rule of thumb, if you are resident and in receipt of overseas incomes and gains, then you will need to file a UK tax return.

This is on the basis that you will either need to:

1) pay tax on the overseas incomes and gains; or
2) claim the remittance basis so that you do not have to pay tax on the overseas incomes and gains; or
3) make a claim under a tax treaty to either exempt or lower the rate of tax suffered on the overseas incomes and gains.

What are GTC’s tax advisory fees?

Our tax advisory charges differ depending on the area of tax we are advising on and the complexity of the situation.

Our fees will be disclosed in the engagement letter or via email and you will only be charged if you decide to proceed with our services.

Scroll to Top